Thursday, January 19, 2012

Perseverance!

Today was one of those days that the technology pieces didn't fall nicely together...but in the end it all worked out!

My fifth graders have been learning about tall tales and exaggerations.  Yesterday they wrote their own exagerations and today the plan was to go to the computer lab use Tux Paint to illustrate one of their exaggerations, and post it to their blog.  Seems like a simple process but there were multiple steps to it.  Before we headed to the lab I walked my kids through the project in the classroom showing them step by step what they were doing.  We were at the last step in the process...posting to kidblogs when I got this awesome message:

Of course this didn't just happen once it happened a few times.  My kids thought it was hilarious! 30 fifth graders laughing at me as I fumbled with trying to figure out what was going on wasn't my idea of fun! Of course I could have gotten frustrated and stopped...but we mustered through it.

Instead we made it to the lab.  They did a fabulous job using Tux Paint for creating their illustrations.  They mustered through the print screen, copying to power point, cropping the image and saving it as a picture.

The lesson of the day was perseverance...keep going.  Even when 30 fifth graders are giggling at you because a silly error message comes up on the monitor.   I figure I taught them a lot about problem solving today!

Here are a few of the finished products or head on over to our blogs and check them out.  Leave a comment or two as well!





~Melanie

1 comment:

  1. I love the exaggerations! Kudos to your fifth graders and their very creative ideas ... they have great voice. :-)

    ReplyDelete